Police Operations Advanced Certificate
The Police Operations advanced certificate is designed for students who have completed an associate degree in any field and have an interest in becoming law enforcement officers, the Advanced Certificate in Police Operations is a pathway to becoming a full-time law enforcement officer. This program builds upon the foundation of communication, writing, decision-making, etc., and teaches students law enforcement skills, including advanced tactical patrol skills, defense tactics, de-escalation, officer wellness issues, fitness for duty, and academy preparation. As a component of this program, students will receive certification from the Maine Criminal Justice Academy in Phase II of the Law Enforcement Pre-service program, allowing them to begin working as law enforcement officers immediately upon completion of the program.
STUDENTS GAIN KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE BY:
- Enhancing skills and understanding of police practice
- Building upon the foundation of a completed Criminal Justice program or related field experience
- Demonstrating acceptable tolerance of stressful situations and apply stress reduction techniques
- Demonstrating working knowledge of Maine law enforcement agencies and related organizations
- Exhibiting knowledge of police operations and procedures
- Demonstrating effective defense tactics and de-escalation techniques
- Demonstrating knowledge of criminal court proceedings and relevant case law
SPECIAL ADMISSIONS CRITERIA
- Associate degree with cumulative GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale in a criminal justice or related program
- Criminal background check
- Physical screening
- Oral board interview
Screenings and interviews are based on minimum standards of entrance into the Maine Criminal Justice Academy.