Support for veterans, military personnel and their dependents
After a veteran has been admitted to the College, we will continue to help facilitate their transition to college life. We offer many support services for veterans.
CMCC participates in a variety of education benefit programs serving veterans, active duty military personnel, and their families:
- Veterans programs – the Post 9/11 GI Bill®, Montgomery GI Bill®, Vocational Rehabilitation, Reserve Educational Assistance Program, Dependents Education Assistance Program, Fry Scholarship, and the State of Maine Tuition Waiver for survivors
- Tuition Assistance for active duty military personnel
- Maine Army National Guard Tuition Waiver program
- MyCAA program for spouses of active duty military personnel
- In-state tuition rates for veterans, active duty military personnel, their spouses, and children
Students are encouraged to contact John Bowie, director of financial aid, to discuss their eligibility for these programs. John serves as the school certifying official for the VA and is an Army veteran with 30 years’ experience working with veterans and service members. John can be reached by phone at (207) 755-5432.
Veterans Club at CMCC
The Veterans Club is an active group for veterans, and all those supporting veterans, on campus and online that includes many different members from all branches of service. The club coordinates different activities around campus and remains in touch with the local Veterans Administration in Augusta Maine to help keep all Vets on campus current in all their VA benefits. Students interested in learning more about the Veterans Club are encouraged to contact Christopher Thoma, club advisor.
Veterans, active duty service personnel, and their families have many free resources available to help them make the right choice about how to pay for college:
- The GI Bill® Comparison Tool is available to help veterans choose the right GI Bill® program that best fits their educational goals.
- The College Scorecard is a planning tool and resource to assist prospective students and their families.
- The College Navigator is a consumer tool that provides school information to include tuition and fees, retention and graduation rates, use of financial aid, student loan default rates, and features a cost calculator and school comparison tool.
- The Paying for College site can be used by prospective students to enter the names of up to three schools and receive detailed financial information on each one and to enter actual financial aid award information.