EMPLOYER: Northern Light Sebasticook Valley Hospital
***This Position is Eligible for a $10,000 Sign-On Bonus
The purpose of this position is to collect, process, and analyze biological specimens by automated or manual methods to aid in diagnosis, treatment, and monitoring of health status for patients of all ages.
• Processes and analyzes biological specimens, evaluates test and QC results prior to reporting, to ensure release of valid and accurate results. • Calibrates and maintains equipment used, as assigned. • Assists Director/Coordinator in establishing and monitoring QC and QI programs. • Coordinates with Director/Coordinator to develop and modify procedures, as needed. • Assists in training new hires and in annual competency assessment of other lab employees. • Greets patients, performs lab order entry and temporary registration. • Performs phlebotomy and EKG’s on Out-patients and In-patients of all ages. • Coordinates medical necessity as required by correlating test(s) being ordered to diagnosis, obtains ABN’s as needed. • Orders and maintains appropriate levels of laboratory supplies. • Performs laboratory clerical duties relating to reporting and laboratory test management. Checks previous days slips for proper diagnosis, medical necessity, completeness, and proper charging for test(s) performed. • Performs other duties necessary to the operation of the laboratory, as assigned by Director. • Maintain a safe environment which includes knowing and understanding hospital and departmental policies and procedures. • Report and directly address identified environmental hazards when appropriate. • Report and directly address violations of patient safety policy and/or protocol when involved or observed.
C. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Education: Associate or Bachelor Degree in Laboratory Science or Medical Technology or the ability to qualify as a technologist under 42 CFR 493.1489. Experience: Preferred but willing to train qualified candidates/new graduates. Licensure: Nationally recognized certification such as ASCP, AMT or other approved certification required or obtained within 6 months of hire. Active membership required only for individuals who received their certification in 2004 or after per ASCP Certification Maintenance Program (CMP). D. JOB COMPETENCIES (Include Age Specific requirements for clinical workers): • Ability to perform phlebotomy on patients of all ages. • Ability work independently covering all shifts. • Demonstrate SVH Values in daily work.
Competencies and skills:
* Behaves with Integrity and Builds Trust: Acts consistently in line with the core values, commitments and rules of conduct. Leads by example and tells the truth. Does what they say they will, when and how they say they will, or communicates an alternate plan.
* Cultivates Respect: Treats others fairly, embraces and values differences, and contributes to a culture of diversity, inclusion, empowerment and cooperation.
* Fosters Accountability: Creates and participates in a work environment where people hold themselves and others accountable for processes, results and behaviors. Takes appropriate ownership not only of successes but also mistakes and works to correct them in a timely manner. Demonstrates understanding that we all work as a team and the quality and timeliness of work impacts everyone involved.
* Practices Compassion: Exhibits genuine care for people and is available and ready to help; displays a deep awareness of and strong willingness to relieve the suffering of others.
Education equivalent experience:
* Associate or Bachelor Degree in Laboratory Science or Medical Technology or the ability to qualify as a technologist under 42 CFR 493.1489.
* Continuous sitting.
Equal Opportunity Employment
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability status, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, protected veteran status, national origin, genetic information or any other legally protected status.