EMPLOYER: Diversified CommunicationsWebsite
Company Overview: Diversified Communications is a leading global media and event organizer with a diverse portfolio in business-to-business trade expositions, conferences, publications and digital products. Our mission is to connect, educate and strengthen business communities in the industries we serve. Established in 1949, we are headquartered in Portland, Maine, with divisions and offices around the world and remains a privately held, family-owned business employing 450 professionals around the world.
About the Program: As a part of our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in our industry and communities, Diversified Communications is seeking an undergrad or graduate student from a historically underrepresented group to apply to our Diversity Exhibition and Event Industry Associate Pipeline Program. This program seeks to identify, develop and grow the pool of qualified candidates with diverse backgrounds who are seeking a career in event and exhibition management, business, marketing/communications, or related field.
This is a semester-long (approx. 3.5 months) rotation program based in our Portland, Maine headquarters. Over the program duration, our Associate will cycle through a variety of positions gaining experience in event & conference management, sales, marketing, and event operations and will work closely with several market-leading brands under the guidance of our talented Managers, Director’s and VP’s. You’ll be challenged with meaningful work and will be responsible for meeting deadlines, producing results, and contributing to business operations. To cap off your experience, you’ll have the opportunity to attend and work at one of our events with the team.
Duties may include:
• Assist departments with exhibition and/or attendee marketing strategy; may include social, digital, and print collateral marketing efforts
• Analysis of marketing strategies for various products
• Assist departments with various aspects of sponsorship fulfillment deliverables
• Support Event Directors with certain aspects of event/conference management planning
• Work with event operations team to support back end logistics of events, including exhibitor customer service and registration teams
Experience & Skills Gained:
• Acquire hands-on experience in various aspects of event management and planning large-scale events
• Gain experience in all stages of event management, including marketing, sponsorship & advertising sales, exhibitor relations, contracts, education development, registration, and event logistics
• Sharpen business and communication skills in a wide variety of contexts including exhibitions & conference management, marketing, and general business management
The successful candidate must have strong organizational skills to plan workflow, handle overlapping activities, and meet established deadlines. Excellent communication skills and the ability to multi-task in a fast pace environment. Candidates should demonstrate knowledge in marketing/communications, general business, and event management with an interest in pursuing a career in exhibitions management. Above all, we are seeking individuals who are curious and dedicated to advancing their career within the exhibition and event industry!
What happens when the program ends?
Throughout the program you will be challenged to work in areas you might not have otherwise considered, and in doing so, you will strengthen not only your business knowledge, but your leadership, communication, and critical thinking skills. As the program nears completion, you will sit down with our team to discuss your interests and strengths with the goal of finding you a full-time role at Diversified Communications. We’ve been very successful at hiring and retaining past interns! Generally, available opportunities could include: Marketing Administrator/Coordinator, Operations Administrator/Coordinator, Sales Representative, or Event Administrator/Coordinator.
Other Important Specifics:
This is a paid internship opportunity, and the Associate will report directly to a Vice President, rotating to various groups under their direction and supervision.
We are flexible on the days/hours requirement and seeking candidates who can work 3-4 days per week for at least 24 hours/week. Some travel may be required!
To apply for our Diversity Exhibition and Event Industry Associate Pipeline Program, please submit your cover letter and resume to our application database (addressed to Janice Rogers, Corporate Vice President, Human Resources) no later than May 31, 2022. Our interview process will begin in June 2022, with offers being extended by August 2022. Associate will begin program in September 2022.