Update: March 11, 2020

Coronavirus/Covid-19 update as of March 11, 2020

New Travel Guidance

In order to minimize the potential spread of the virus, Maine’s community colleges are limiting college-sponsored travel for non-essential purposes. You should check with your supervisor to determine whether to proceed with any travel planned through June 1, 2020.

Members of the college community who have traveled outside the U.S. in the past 14 days or who plan to travel outside the U.S. (including Canada) in the coming days should complete this short form before leaving or returning to campus.

If you are traveling within the U.S., please consult the CDC website which tracks the number of confirmed cases in each state: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-in-us.html. We strongly encourage you to consult this list before traveling, to avoid areas with significant outbreaks, and to observe CDC-recommended steps to help protect yourself and prevent illness.

Do campus events need to be cancelled?

If you are sick, stay home from events. In addition, the Maine CDC is recommending that people consider avoiding large public gatherings.

At this time, MCCS is not requiring individual community colleges to cancel school or social events. However, requirements that limit or prohibit events larger than a certain number of people are likely to be adopted as the situation rapidly evolves, and decisions may need to be made with little notice. As a result, event planners should develop backup plans, consider how to incorporate social distancing, and be prepared to pivot as the virus spreads.

New guidance: Employees and students who may be at greater risk

MCCS is working to provide work accommodations to faculty and staff at a higher risk of serious illness from COVID-19. According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention older adults and people with serious chronic medical conditions like heart disease, diabetes, and lung disease are at a higher risk of serious illness from coronavirus infection. If you are at heightened risk and seek work accommodations, you should contact your department chair or supervisor.

Students facing higher risks may seek accommodations by contacting the office of the Dean of Student Services or Student Life.

Read More