Applying for Veterans Education Benefits at CMCC
Central Maine Community College is approved by the Veterans Administration for the training of veterans and their dependents. Students who are eligible for education benefits through the VA are encouraged to complete the process to apply for benefits.
- Your first step is to complete the Application for Benefits.
- Once VA has processed your application, which currently takes approximately 30 days, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility in the mail, indicating the status of your claim. Please provide a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility to the CMCC Financial Aid Office.
- Once you are registered for classes, Central Maine Community College will notify VA of your enrollment each semester, including the charges for the courses. If you are a participant in the Post 9/11 GI Bill or Vocational Rehabilitation, the CMCC Business Office will make note of the amount of your tuition and fees being covered by VA. You do not need to request certification of your enrollment – we will do it automatically unless you opt out. If you do not wish to utilize your VA education benefits, you must notify the CMCC Financial Aid Office in writing by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Keep in mind that you are responsible for notifying the CMCC Financial Aid Office if you change your semester enrollment, to include adding or dropping classes and if you choose to simply stop attending classes. Changes to enrollment will affect the amount you receive for benefits and the sooner VA is notified of your updated status, the less likely it is that you will be overpaid by VA.
- If you participate in the Montgomery GI Bill (Chapters 30 or 1606), you must also verify your enrollment with VA at the end of every month of school before VA will release your payment for the month. To verify your enrollment you must utilize the WAVE system. You can access WAVE online or by calling the automated number 1-877-823-2378.
For additional information, please contact:
Office of Financial Aid
Central Maine Community College
1250 Turner Street
Auburn, ME 04210
Phone: (800) 891-2002, x2328
Fax: (207) 755-5493
8:00am – 7:00pm Monday - Thursday
8:00am – 4:30pm Friday